We may revise these Terms from time to time, and will always post the most current version on our website. If a revision meaningfully reduces your rights, we will notify you (by, for example, sending a message to the email address associated with your account, posting on our blog or on this page). By continuing to use or access the Services after the revisions come into effect, you agree to be bound by the revised Terms.
- Account – A User-controlled means of access to Makersite that is protected by a User-created login username and password, with which Users can obtain access to Makersite’s uploading and downloading functionalities.
- Administrator – The User who created, controls and is the main organizer, curator, and manager of a particular sub-site on Makersite.
- Author – The person(s) from whom the data within the dataset originated; the person(s) who conducted the work that led to the creation of the dataset. This person can but need not be the same as the Depositor.
- Content – Any information, data, text, software, scripts, graphics, and interactive features found on the Makersite.net application.
- Data Usage License Agreement – The license agreement between a Depositor and a Downloader governing the limits and restrictions (or lack thereof) of how the downloaded User Submissions can be used.
- Dataset – A collection of data, typically in form of a data table, such as a unit process, BOM, recipe, study, set of observations, or publication that is uploaded by a User. A dataset can comprise a single file or multiple files.
- Depositor – The User who uploads a collection of data files or a dataset to the application.
- Derivation – a data set that was obtained by integrating via mathematical operations one or more of the Makersite data sets AND by making use of substantial additional information and/or third party data sets, resulting in a significantly differing data set for a significantly different product system.
- Download Data – Information collected whenever a dataset is downloaded, including but not limited to user account name, time of download, and downloaded file name.
- Makersite – A virtual container with which to store data (including datasets and other sub-sites) that can be customized and managed by its owner. For example, an organization can have its own site on Makersite.net under [organization.makersite.net].
- Makersite.net – The repository application server as a whole, including all Services, Content, and related features, but not including any separate Makersite sites created using Makersite.net’s functions and managed by independent outside parties who are unaffiliated with Makersite.
- Metadata – Accompanying information, either in a separate file or otherwise included in the dataset materials, about a particular dataset or Makersite, including but not limited to Author’s name, publishing date, title of data contents, description of contents, and other such related information.
- Modification – Omitted, changed or added information of a data set, resulting in a data set that still represents the same or an insignificantly differing product system as the original data set. For example, if a product has a different process flow or data values to those available in Makersite. This does not refer to changed storage form or format of a data set.
- Publish – A function available for User Submissions by which Users can make their Makersite and/or their dataset containing data files publicly available and publicly searchable on the Makersite.net application search engine and third-party search engines (e.g., Google Search or Bing Search).
- Registration Information – Information required to register for an Account, including but not limited to name, email, institution, position, and phone number.
- Restricted User Submissions – Any User Submissions that are published with either Makersite’s Data Use Agreement or with a customized data usage license agreement that the Depositor drafts and/or designates for the Submission.
- Service – the Makersite.net application and all of the available services, functions, and capabilities afforded on the application.
- Site – the Makersite.net application and server.
- Spamming – Any unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail, messages, comments, or other communications directly or indirectly stemming from use of the Makersite.net application, including but not limited to comments posted to Author’s dataset pages and messages or other communications sent to User’s email addresses, accounts, or other means of contact.
- Unpublished Dataset – An uploaded dataset that has not yet been made available to the public and is viewable only to the Depositor or other users to whom the Depositor has granted access.
- Unrestricted User Submissions – Any User Submissions that are published with a CC0 or CC BY default public domain dedication waiver agreement.
- Use of Service – Any access to, use of, or other action involving the Makersite.net application ’s functions, services, resources, and repository of datasets, including but not limited to any uploading, posting, submitting, storing, searching for, downloading, distributing, facilitating distributions, and otherwise utilizing any Content found on the Makersite.net application.
- User – Any individual or entity who owns and/or controls a registered account on Makersite.
- User Submissions – Uploaded datasets.
- User Uploads – Any uploaded, submitted, disclosed, distributed, or otherwise posted content by a User, including but not limited to new datasets, metadata information, custom data usage license agreements, descriptive information for dataset download pages, user guides, and other contributions either originating from the User or originating from a third-party author who gave permission to the User to disseminate on the Makersite.net application.
In using the Service, you represent that:
- infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any other person or entity;
- be unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, or otherwise offensive or unlawful;
- constitute Spamming;
- cause, introduce into the Service, or otherwise use software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment, or that are designed or intended to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data files or other information of Makersite or any third party;
- impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on Makersite’s (or its third party providers’) infrastructure (to be determined by Makersite in its sole discretion);
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Service or any activities conducted on the Service; or
- bypass any measures Makersite may use to prevent or restrict access to the Service (or other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Service).
As both a registered User and an unregistered Guest, you are able to download publicly available Content from Makersite. As a condition to your gaining full Use of Service, you are required to register for and be logged into an Account on Makersite. You shall provide Makersite with accurate and complete Registration Information and regularly update such information to maintain its completeness and accuracy. Failure to do so may result in immediate termination of your Account. Makersite reserves the right to refuse registration of or cancel an Account in its sole discretion.
You are solely responsible for activity that occurs on your Account and shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Account password. You shall never use another user’s account without the other user’s express permission. You will immediately notify Makersite in writing of any unauthorized use of your account, or other account related security breach of which you are aware.
In having an account on the Service, you acknowledge that:
- your account details (including first name, last name, email address, and username) are searchable by other Users;
- your account details may be recorded when you download datasets, and that information can then be viewed by the owner of the User Upload; and
- your first name, last name, and affiliation will be displayed on the Service in connection with your User Uploads.
The Service provides you with the ability to submit and post data and display, organize, modify, combine and distribute User Uploads. The Service also allows you to share datasets with other Users by searching for their organization’s name, individual name, email address, or username.
The Service also gives each Administrator the ability to change dataset access/download restrictions by designating User Uploads as Restricted User Submissions. Datasets are by default unpublished, but Administrators can modify the access restrictions and Publish or deaccession any User Uploads at any time. Depending on the permissions granted by the Administrator of the Makersite in question, Depositors may also change dataset access/download restrictions by designating User Uploads or even single data values within a dataset as Restricted User Submissions.
Makersite has no obligation to monitor the Site, Service, Content, or User Uploads. Makersite may remove any User Upload at any time for any reason (including, but not limited to, upon receipt of claims or allegations from third parties or authorities relating to such User Upload), or for no reason at all.
You acknowledge that Makersite does not endorse, take responsibility for, or make any representations or warranties for any User Uploads, and will not be liable for 1) User Upload content, format, Metadata, or lack thereof; 2) representations or warranties made by the User about the User Uploads; and 3) any loss of or damage to User Uploads, either in whole or in part, from whatever cause.
By posting User Uploads, or by allowing others to do so, you make the following representations and warranties to Makersite:
- User Uploads do not infringe upon the copyrights or other intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity or other right of any third party;
- User Uploads do not violate any laws;
- in the event you become aware of any issues after submitting a User Upload, you will promptly notify Makersite and the relevant Makersite Administrator(s) of any confidentiality, privacy or data protection, licensing, or intellectual property issues regarding the User Uploads;
- User Uploads do not contain software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data files, or other information of Makersite or any third party;
- User Uploads have been given all relevant, obligatory, and applicable approvals for posting such materials with the content included and in the format uploaded, including but not limited to approvals from the Institutional Review Board and third parties with whom Users have relevant contractual obligations; and
- User Uploads must be void of all personal information, such as social security numbers; credit card numbers; medical record numbers; health plan numbers; other account numbers of individuals; or biometric identifiers (fingerprints, retina, voice print, DNA, etc.).
You grant to Makersite all necessary permissions and required licenses to make the Content you submit available for archiving, preservation and access within the Site. This includes, without restriction, permission to:
- promote and advertise the Content in any publicity (in any form);
- describe, catalog, and document the User Submissions;
- store, translate, copy or re-format the Content in any way to ensure its future preservation and accessibility, and improve usability and/or protect respondent confidentiality; and
- incorporate Metadata or documentation in the Content into public access catalogues.
- You also grant to Makersite all necessary permissions, waivers and required licenses to share any Published Content’s metadata you submit or deposit with DataCite (http://datacite.net).
None of the above supersedes any prior contractual obligations with third parties that require any information to be kept confidential. Nothing in this Agreement obligates you to disclose information to Makersite if such information is otherwise confidential or proprietary. Makersite does not approve User Uploads before they are posted; therefore, you are solely responsible for the User Submissions you post on or through the Service and all possible confidentiality or other privacy issues that may arise from your posting any User Uploads.
The Services are protected by copyright, trademark and other UK, US, and foreign laws. These Terms don’t grant you any right, title or interest in the Services, others’ content in the Services, our trademarks, logos and other brand features. We welcome feedback, but note that we may use comments or suggestions without any obligation to you.
Some of our Services may allow you to download plugins or client software (“Software”) which may be updated automatically. As long as you comply with these Terms, we give you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to use the Software. To the extent any component of the Software may be offered under an open source license, we’ll make that license available to you and it may expressly override some of these Terms. You agree not to reverse engineer or decompile the Services, attempt to do so, or assist anyone in doing so (except to the extent such restrictions are prohibited by law).
You acknowledge that Makersite’s default data usage license agreement for all uploaded materials is a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (“CC BY”). For more information, please visit Creative Commons Zero Full Legal Text (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode ).
Users also have the option of drafting a custom data usage license agreement. By choosing to draft a custom data usage license agreement for a particular dataset, users represent that:
- they have written themselves or have permission to use the language of the data usage license agreement they choose;
- the data usage license agreement covers all restrictions and protections they wish to retain and will not rely on the Site to provide any further protections or restrictions;
- they are solely responsible for ensuring the data usage license agreement is legally sound and that the Site is not responsible for anything included; and
- nothing in the data usage license agreement conflicts with, supersedes, or limits any prior contractual obligations on the part of the User, any third parties, downloaders, or the Site.
- By choosing to use a custom data usage license agreement (“Data Use Agreement”), users acknowledge and agree that:
- Makersite owes no obligation or responsibility and makes no representations with regards to the legality, enforceability, accuracy, or desirability of the Data Use Agreement;
- Makersite is not a party to the Data Use Agreement and cannot be held accountable for any terms found within the Data Use Agreement; and
- Makersite has no obligation to aid or support either party of the Agreement in the execution or enforcement of the Data Use Agreement’s terms. Users are responsible for establishing, maintaining, and enforcing the license terms they wish to use for access to and use of User Uploads. Makersite is not responsible for any inaccuracies, unenforceable terms, or liabilities that may arise from choosing any of the options afforded in this Agreement, and Makersite will not be responsible for reviewing or enforcing compliance of any terms the User may choose to employ.
The Site represents that it will use all reasonable efforts to maintain open access to datasets for users to download, subject to Depositors’ restrictions and any applicable legal restrictions. The Site collects and stores Download Data from each download for all users (both registered and guest), which can then be downloaded and accessed by the Depositor. Downloaders must be registered Users of the Site or guests that agree to the CC BY waiver or the Custom Data Usage Agreement for a dataset in order to take advantage of the Site’s Services, including downloading any materials or datasets.
Downloaders represent that, in downloading any material from the Site, they:
- have read and understood the Site’s Community Norms (http://www.makersite.net/community-guidelines/);
- will abide by the applicable data usage license agreement attached to the dataset;
- acknowledge that their account information (for Users) or temporary site identification information (for Guests) may be recorded upon download, which can then be viewed by the owner of the User Upload; and
- have done their due diligence in ensuring that they do not download and use any datasets or other materials where prohibited by applicable law.
Makersite may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate your account, you may notify Makersite at email@example.com.
THE SERVICE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL SOFTWARE, CONTENT AND USER UPLOADS) IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, MAKERSITE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT: (A) THE CONTENT, SOFTWARE, OR USER UPLOADS ARE TIMELY, ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT IN THEIR POSTED FORMS ON THE SERVICE; (B) THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE WILL BE SECURE; C) THE SERVICE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (D) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; (E) THE SOFTWARE, SERVICE, SITE, CONTENT OR ANY USER UPLOADS ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; OR (F) THE RESULTS OF USING THE SERVICE OR SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, SOFTWARE, AND ANY CONTENT IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
IN NO EVENT SHALL MAKERSITE AND ITS AFFILIATES, OR THEIR DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, OR SUPPLIERS, BE LIABLE UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, SOFTWARE, OR ANY CONTENT OR USER SUBMISSIONS (I) FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES, OR (II) FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER.
You and Makersite agree that any cause of action arising out of or related to the Service must commence within one (1) year after the cause of action arose; otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
These Terms shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom (excluding the conflict of laws rules thereof). All disputes under these Terms will be resolved in the applicable state or federal courts of the UK. You consent to the jurisdiction of such courts and waive any jurisdictional or venue defenses otherwise available.
This Agreement is the entire agreement between you and Makersite with respect to the Service and use of this Site, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and Makersite with respect to this Site (but excluding the use of any third-party software, widgets, and applications that may be subject to a separate end-user license agreement). If any provision of the Terms is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the Terms will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable.
Makersite may assign, transfer or delegate any of its rights and obligations hereunder without consent. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment relationship is created as a result of the Terms and neither party has any authority of any kind to bind the other in any respect outside the specified terms of this Agreement. In any action or proceeding to enforce rights under the Terms, the prevailing party will be entitled to recover costs and attorneys’ fees.